Sunday, December 24, 2017

Christmas from my Eyes

Our 25th annual holiday party was last week. It concluded on the 5th night of Hanukkah, so we invited everyone who was still here to light the candles and say the blessings with us. They were clearly honored to join us. One even reached out and asked if I could share a picture of him lighting the candles. I can't help but wonder if he was going to share it with Jewish family. When I shared the pictures with parents, several told me that their child had never lit a menorah before. (I'm not surprised.) It felt good to give them that opportunity. After we said the blessings, I made sure that husband translated it for them. I think that if you are going to say a religious blessing in another language, you should know what you just said. 

It's fun to hear our children's friends' response to our annual sing-a-long. When Son's friend's mom and I were talking about whether she could make it to the party this year, she told me what a good time her son had last year. "Mom, we sang Christmas Carols, while Mr. G. played them on the piano...Um, aren't they Jewish?"



Once the party is over, I sort of enjoy going out into the world that is Christmas. The hectic parking lots, the beautifully-decorated mall, the frantic shoppers - knowing that I can truly enjoy the season. Santa always fills my children's stockings, and there is a gift or two. But I don't have the stress of finding and wrapping piles of gifts. It's particularly nice, when Hanukkah has passed before Christmas Eve.


It was a long time ago that we decided not to have a Christmas tree. I do enjoy seeing those of my family and friends; however, I no longer feel like there is an empty space in my home or heart where our tree should be. We do decorate - with snowmen and carolers. After our holiday party this year, one of the stockings that is hung by the chimney with care was filled with a surprise visitor - the Mensch on a Bench. Yet again, an interesting interfaith twist.

Christmas Eve is one of my favorite nights of the year. We spend a family-filled relaxing evening together with my extended family. I have pictures of the kids sitting around the Christmas tree every year. We haven't done gifts for years, so it's truly family time. This year, we're going to have some fun with a white elephant gift swap. That should be entertaining.

Christmas Day is also spent with extended family. This year, we'll be having brunch together. So, we might even be Jews on Christmas and go out for Chinese food for dinner.

I can't lie; this week is never easy. I will always wonder what would have been. What would my tree look like? How many gifts would be under it? Would my stair rail be wrapped with greens? Would the lawn and house be draped with lights? Would we go to Mass on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? Would the church be breathtaking? No one seems to "get" it. Everyone seems to think that I've got it all together and can't imagine why I get anxious after doing this for 20 years. Sometimes I don't understand it either. But, I do enjoy the season with an unexpected burst of tears here and there.

No matter how you choose to celebrate it, Merry Christmas!




No comments:

Post a Comment