Saturday, December 11, 2021

Lessons in Life at my Birdfeeder

These days, I spend my Saturday and Sunday mornings working or reading at my kitchen table. It gives me time to watch the birds at my feeders and birdbath. In the span of 2 minutes this morning, and in most cases all at the same time, there was at least one:

Junco, House Sparrow, Tufted Titmouse, Black-capped Chickadee, Carolina Wren, House Finch, Mourning Dove, and a Red breasted Nuthatch. 

At most times, there was at least one squirrel. They happily coexist, as the ground feeders wait for the squirrel to push seed to the ground. There's always one or two that are pushy. One House Finch dive bombed another for a spot on the feeder. For just a moment, there was a Blue Jay and the rest dispersed. And long enough for me to take a few pictures, a Cooper's Hawk perched in the tree. Even the squirrel froze in his tracks. Then everyone returned - some right away. Others waited until they felt it was safe.

Remember the birds at my birdfeeder. We really can all get along. Sometimes we just have to try.





No comments:

Post a Comment