Friday, October 28, 2016

Embracing What Joins Us


At our daughter's Bat Mitzvah, we celebrated the similarities among our friends and families rather than emphasize the differences.

Family
As the youngest of six, I am very fortunate to have nieces and nephews who are close to my age. So, our daughter was raised with first cousins who are like aunts and uncles and second cousins who are her contemporaries. Her first cousin was like a second mother to our daughter when she was a baby. Dropping her off at her cousin's house was the easiest part of being a working mom. My niece and her family have included us in all of their family celebrations. Our relationship with her family has been integral to our children's' connection to my side of the family. My niece and her husband are the epitome of what it means to live the golden rule. They have always been kind, loving, and supportive, and they expected nothing in return. So, at our daughter's Bat Mitzvah, we asked my niece to select and read a passage from the Catholic Bible that had the same theme as our daughter's Torah portion, the golden rule.

Friends
Our neighborhood was unofficially a 55-and-over community in its early days. We were the babies. So, when our daughter was about 6 years old, and we found out that we had new neighbors with children, we ran over to the playground, hoping they'd show up. Our children quickly hit it off with their children. And the mom and I became fast friends. When my neighbor mentioned that her mother-law's native language was Arabic, my mind began to race, "Oh no, what if when they find out our kids are Jewish, they decide that our children cannot play together?" I waited several meetings before broaching the subject. As it turned out, my new friend had figured it out, and it was okay. Now, our kids fondly refer to the dad as Baba. He even came to our congregation to talk to my book club about Islam and forever changed, in a positive way, a Jewish group's view about Muslims. (That's a future blog post!)

When my husband was rushed to the ER in the middle of the night, it was this friend who came out on an icy night and slept on our couch until I came home. It was she who sat with me for 10 hours at the hospital. They are wonderful examples of doing to others as you would have them do unto you. At our daughter's Bat Mitzvah, we asked them to select several readings from the Quran with the same theme as the Torah portion - and read them from the bimah.

We wanted to remind our friends and families that our similarities are so much greater than our differences. Our goal was to embrace what joins us.

No comments:

Post a Comment