Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Giving Thanks for My Interfaith Family

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Other than being thankful for friends, family, and the blessings of the year, there is no religious aspect to the holiday. You spend time with loved ones, and there are no expectations other than a good meal and good conversation.


Our Thanksgiving tradition has changed over the years. For the past 5+ years, my nephew and his family have joined us around our table. For the past couple of years, a second nephew has joined us. We almost switched it up this year to join my husband's family. However, tradition prevailed, and my husband and daughter spent Wednesday evening and most of Thursday cooking. After everyone arrived, as is our tradition, each of us took a moment to mention something that they are thankful for. Then the Catholics said Grace Before Meals, and the Jews said the Hamotzi. The meal was fabulous, the political conversation was exciting, and the joy of just being with family was precious.

This weekend, the celebration continued. Much of my husband's family was in town to celebrate a milestone birthday for my father-in-law. All but a few of the immediate family came to our house for dinner on Friday. Once again, great food, heated political conversation, and the joy of being together were what it was all about. Just as I sat down to eat, my father-in-law, the Cantor, said, "It's Friday, isn't it?" With that, I, his non-Jewish daughter-in-law, reached behind me, pulled out some candles, lit the candles, and recited the blessing for Shabbat. Then, I poured a glass of wine and asked my father-in-law to say the  prayer over the wine. He sang the Kiddush, a blessing that was truly a blessing upon all of us to hear him sing, as we were about to celebrate his 90th birthday.


Finally, on Saturday, we celebrated his birthday with a party. It didn't dawn on me, as it often has in the past, that just about everyone who was there is Jewish. We were all simply people coming together to celebrate the life of a man who connects all of us in some way. There was a big college football game on in the background. Many alumni and a current student were cheering on the team. Renewed acquaintances, cousins who hadn't seen each other for yours, and old friends all greeted each other with warm hugs. Afterward, as a family, we sat and talked for hours.

In all of these moments this weekend, there was no interfaith. It was just family.

No comments:

Post a Comment