Saturday, April 3, 2021

Passover for the win!

We had a wonderful Passover this year! It actually felt like a holiday because both of our children were home, and they each brought a guest - their girlfriend and boyfriend. My son asked about the holiday about a month ago and was disappointed that, once again in the time of COVID, the family would not be gathering together for our traditional Seder. He asked if he could still come home from college to be with us. Normally, it would be a resounding, "Yes, of course!" This year had the need for logistics. Could he get tested? Would he quarantine? He did both, and so did his girlfriend. Clearly, he wanted to be home for the holiday. So did his sister's boyfriend. In fact, her boyfriend was the one who insisted on the quarantine. That's a smart bunch of young people.

The regulars all joined us for the Zoom Seder, and, like last year, we  had some join us from far and wide who don't usually get to celebrate with us. We did a full service with all of the ritual. Everyone sang. Everyone read several parts. It was real. As I looked around the Zoom screen, I realized that we were about 2/3 Jews and 1/3 gentiles. We had two gentiles with us. Our nephew has a gentile girlfriend and was joined by their Jew-ish friend who has Jewish roots in Argentina. Another extended family member is married to a gentile. I guess we were trendsetters. 


This weekend, our kids are celebrating Easter with the boyfriend and girlfriend. There was no question; it makes sense. We haven't done anything for Easter for years. In fact, when I last struggled with whether or not I should make an Easter basket, my son said, "Mom, we're Jewish. It doesn't matter." The goyim (I hope they understand that I am one as well) joined us to celebrate; I'm glad that our children will get a chance to celebrate with them

It all works out; it really does.




No comments:

Post a Comment