Friday, February 19, 2021

I Count the Weeks by Shabbat Candles

The last time we went out to dinner was the Friday of St. Patrick's Day weekend, 2020. 

On the following Friday night, the first one in quarantine, we lit the Shabbat candles, said the blessings over the candles, wine, and challah and enjoyed the fact that all four of us were at home together for Shabbat.

You use 2 candles per Shabbat, and we don't typically eat at home on Friday nights. So, typically, a box of candles can last us for months. Well, after a couple of 2020 Friday nights, our box of candles was empty.


So, I sent my daughter off to pick up Shabbat candles at the grocery store. She came back with a box of 72! 

"That's all they had, Mom!"

"Oh my," I exclaimed, "it will take us years to use 72 candles!"

About a month ago, we ran out of candles. We had spent 72/2 Shabbats together as a family (sometimes missing one child at college). That's 36 Friday night dinners together. And that doesn't count the first box or the box we are on on now.



It was appropriate that the night we ran out of candles was the same night we were having a Zoom dinner with one of the Interfaith couples (Iffers) who we've known - forever!

When I bought the current box of 12, I whispered a prayer that I wouldn't need a giant box again. But, honestly, it wouldn't be so bad to stop everything, eat a quiet family meal together with our grown children, and be in the moment - another 36 times. 

I still want to say goodbye to this pandemic.

Shabbat Shalom.


No comments:

Post a Comment