Thursday, December 17, 2020

No Christmas for Me this Year

The painful reality has set in. There will be no Christmas for me this year.

Christmas is a holiday celebrated at home - with beautiful lights, garland, and tinsel. There's a sparkling, ornament-covered tree in the corner and stocking hanging by the chimney with care.

Many years ago, we decided that Christmas would be low key at our house. We'd decorate with snowmen and stockings, but no tree. We'd enjoy celebrating in the warm embrace of my large extended family.

For 27 years, we welcomed Christmas week with a holiday party and invited 200 friends and family to join us to celebrate the season. The invitations would have gone out just after Thanksgiving. This week, I should have been cleaning the house from top to bottom. COVID cancelled the holiday party.

For probably 18 or so years, Christmas Eve has been spent at my niece's family's house. The kids have enjoyed tracking Santa with their cousins. The opening of gifts by the little ones morphed into a white elephant gift exchange once they all got into their late teens. COVID cancelled the Christmas Eve gathering.

When my parents were alive, we visited them on Christmas Day. My children even helped decorate. Well, my parent's house has been closed up for 9 years now. (That doesn't seem possible.)

For years now, Christmas Day has been laid back with brunch or dinner at my niece and nephew's house. COVID cancelled Christmas Day visits.

Even after 23 years, this time of year is hard. I wonder if it will be easier this year. Or harder? All I know is that there will be no Christmas for me this year. This year will be just another day - watching from afar on Facebook and Instagram. Although most indoor and outdoor Christmas celebrations are cancelled, Santa will still visit. Immediate families will still gather around the tree for gift giving and share traditional family meals. I look forward to your pictures...at least I think I do.

I don't share these thoughts because I want sympathy. I just want to raise awareness that this year may be harder than usual for those who usually only get to truly celebrate Christmas by joining their families in their homes and don't celebrate it in their own homes. Yet another side effect of this pandemic.


Past Christmas-related posts

No comments:

Post a Comment