Wednesday, August 17, 2016

The Naming and the Bris

We chose not to be told in advance whether we were having a girl or a boy. When our daughter was born, we knew that there would be a naming. Since we wanted to set the stage from the beginning that a girl is equal to a boy, we decided that her naming would be 8 days after her birth.

I'd like to say right here that the 8 day rule must have been created by men. The house was clean, since we were getting ready for baby. However, we were just figuring out how to be parents. There were bottles and baby paraphernalia everywhere. And, of course, there's that fact that I had just given birth. Thank G-d for my mother-in-law and my husband's Godmother. They made sure our guests had something to nosh on after the service.

The service was lead by the same Rabbi who taught my Intro to Judaism class. She made sure to include everyone and make everyone comfortable.

A little over 3 years later, our second child's birth called for a Bris. 

In an attempt to make my parents feel part of this milestone, the Rabbi asked if my Dad would like to hold the baby during the Bris. Uh?! Are you kidding? My Dad had 5 sons and had never witnessed a single Bris. Not a chance I was going to ask him to do this.

I had only been to one Bris prior to this, and I wasn't prepared for how I'd feel. At our friends' son's Bris, I stayed with the new Mom who sat at the top of the steps with her friends. She just couldn't be in the roomAt our son's Bris, I wanted to be there for the main event. My husband convinced me that I would feel better knowing what was going on rather than in another room wondering. 

So, there we were surrounded by family and friends. The mohel had it down to a science. He handed my husband and me a prayer to say. We read it while crying, and by the time we finished, the deed was done.

They then handed my father the baby and a "lollipop" soaked in wine. The baby sure liked that lollipop! 

2 comments:

  1. My son is 4 and is going to Turkey on Monday with his father (my husband) for a few months. I plan to visit in October, and he'll have his "Sunnet" ceremony- the Turkish Muslim equivalent to a bris. Perhaps I'll write about it like you did. It's sure not a typical American experience! Thanks for sharing! Many blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. If you write about it, please share!

    ReplyDelete